Today we get to talk to business attorney Kailey Jacomet about how to protect yourself legally as a podcast manager, specifically with contracts. I thought I knew quite a bit about contracts, but her insights blew my mind! We discuss common podcast manager contracts and things you may not have considered when putting a contract together, including cancellation notices, limitation of liability, copyright, and intellectual property. So listen to this episode and hear what Kailey has to say, because you might learn something new.
Kailey Jacomet is a business attorney and mom of two. In her law practice, Brand Law Boutique, she helps entrepreneurs protect their brands with trademark registration, and provides attorney-drafted contract templates for service providers in her shop, Contractista. When she’s not busy helping business owners protect their businesses legally, Kailey can almost always be found with her family.
If you want to chat more about this topic, I would love to continue this conversation with you, over on Instagram!
In this episode, we cover:
- Kailey’s journey from courtroom prosecutor to working online
- The first steps to take to protect your podcast management business legally
- Forming a Sole Proprietor, an LLC, or a Corporation as a podcast manager
- How having a clear and concise contract can prevent problems
- Setting boundaries for late client materials in your contract
- The differences between Term Contracts vs Cancellation Notices
- Who owns the rights to podcast materials and including copyright clauses in your contract
- The peace of mind included in Limitation of Liability clauses
- Kailey’s specific podcast manager contract template
- and, Intellectual property and creating content that you have the rights to
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Visit Kailey’s website, Brand Law Boutique
- Connect with Kailey on Instagram and Facebook
- Go to Contractista (The Contract Shop!)
- Get your podcast manager contract HERE. (affiliate link)
- Are you ready to become a PROFITABLE podcast manager?! Check out my masterclass on how to become a profitable podcast manager without working more than 20 hours per week!
- Join the Podcast Manager Mastermind fb group to connect with other podcast managers
More about The Podcast Manager Show:
With over 90k new podcasts started each month, podcast managers are desperately in need! In the first podcast DESIGNED for podcast managers, your host, Lauren Wrighton, will be sharing exactly how to build a profitable podcast management business without working more than 20 hours a week!
Lauren Wrighton is a podcast strategist who went from making $5 an hour to $50+ an hour in less than 6 months by making a few changes to her business. Now she teaches freelancers how to become profitable podcast managers in her course, The Podcast Manager Program!
Tune in each week to get one step closer to running the profitable Podcast Management business of your dreams!